Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Payson Wolfe

Payson Wolf/Wolfe was born in 1833, the son of Me-in-gon and Kin-ne-quay (Charlotte, sister of Chief Wakazoo). He claims to have been born in Middle Village, Emmet county on his military records.

On 29 Jul 1851 Payson married Mary Jane Smith, the daughter of Rev. George Smith and his wife Arvilla Powers Smith. While both Payson's and Mary Jane's mothers were against the union, Rev. Smith saw that to not let them be married would be going against all he had worked for. Rev. Smith wrote in his diary "3 Oclock P.M. I Solmenized the marriage of Payson Wolf aged nearly 19 years & our oldest daughter Mary Jane Smith aged nearly 16 years all the people of our Settlement were present (except Chief & family]  We gave them an entertainment. The occasion was pleasant"

The 1855 Annuity Roll - Chief Peter Waw Ke Zoo, Black River Band, #14 is Wolf, Vincent, 1 male, 0 female, 2 children, $24.96

On 10 Jun 1856 Mary Jane purchased 40 acres being the SW 1/4 of the SE 1/4 of Section 3, T31N R11W, Leelanau township, Leelanau county.


Rev. Smith's diary tells a little of what was happening in Payson's life.

On 4 Nov 1856, Smith wrote that “every Indian except Payson voted Democratic out of fear of the Agent”. That same month Payson “caught 273 small whitefish this morning in 3 nets.”

Payson purchased 40 acres on 1 Dec 1858 - the SE 1/4 of SW 1/4 of Section 3 (also in T31N R11W)



13 Mar 1859 Payson and Mary Jane sold to Charlotte Mingun for $50 the West 1/2 of Lot 77 in Wakazooville, section 3, T31N R11W. 31 Mar 1859 Charlotte sold to Payson for $50 Lots B and C Wakazoville, Section 3 T31N R11W - Grand Traverse county land records, vol 2 pages 481-483




The 1860 Federal Census The Village of Northport Township of Leelanau dwelling 84, family 85 is

Payson Wolfe, 25, Indian, farmer, $500 in real estate, $100 value of personal property, born in Michigan;
Mary J. 25, $400 in real estate, born in Michigan
William, 4, 1/2 Ind., born in Michigan
Esther E., 2, 1/2 Ind., born in Michigan
Charles F., 1, 1/2 Ind., born in Michigan

Daughter Arvilla A., 6, 1/2 Ind., born in Michigan is counted next door with her grandparents George N. Smith and Arvilla.


In 1861 Mary Jane made a large Union flag, 4 x 8 feet. Payson painted on the stars and along with Rev. Smith "got a pole and raised the flag on the north end of our house." [From History of Leelanau Township, page 60].

Draft registration June/July 1863 Leeland #6 Wolf, Pason, age 20, Indian, Farmer, Married, born in Michigan



From SeekingMichigan.org - Wolfe, Payson, - Northport: Enlisted 3 Aug 1863 at Northport for 3 years, age 30, Mustered 8 Aug 1863. Taken prisoner 17 Jun 1864 at Petersburg, spent 3 weeks in Libby, 10 months at Andersonville. Discharged at Camp Chase, OH 13 Jun 1865. Died Dec 1900 at Cross Village.

The following photo is from the Burton Historical Collection of the Detroit Public Library. Date taken unknown. While this photo has no inscription a copy at historygrandrapids.org reads, "Payson Wolfe-1st Michigan Sharpshooters, Co. K while guarding Confederate prisoners at Camp Douglas, Chicago, 1863.



Letter to Mary Jane from Payson:

Camp Douglas Chicago, Ill Jan 16 / 64
My dear wife
I just received two letters from you within the last four days.
Was very glad indeed to hear from you, so much so when
I understand your letters all say that you are enjoying your-
self well, I like to hear you say or write you are
doing the best you can, I wish you happiness
all the while. My dear wife if I had wished other-
wise I would not have left you, for the good
of you and our children. I have undertaken
such a work as this now, and not that I should
be permitted to good reputation before men
When I know you to be lonely or getting sick of me.
I also get uneasy for you. You know not
dear wife how much I love you. I say the truth
I love you. Should I see anything I could
Possibly do for you in this world, I would do
it. And now although I would have been
very glad to stay with you at home, to see
me every day, and know that my mother
loves me very much, for I am her only son
living, my brothers all died long ago.

And that she has to feel very bad about me
if I did leave for soldiering when I may
have to endure hardships. And although
I knew that I should have to put piece of a
wood under my head for a pillow and have
to sleep on a bare floor or ground.
All this did not stop me, I determined to
go for the good of you. My dear wife,
if you think over this , you will see.
And you well know, that none person led
me to enlist, it was my own will that brought
me here, and I often, very often, spend my time
in thinking about you, in my heart you are always
near or in, keep steady in your mind and
always try to be in good nature, and happy
you'll be, above all pray to the lord for blessings.
if his will is that we should meet again
that will be done. These are my constant
thoughts. if I should meet you again, I
shall not be as I have been before.
About the money I sent you, I want to be particular.
I do not know whether you received the $30.00
I sent you, by the Captain of Alleghany, but
the $35.00, by my mother I know that you received
it, I sent you all that I have been paid 

I always rather have you take and use
my wages and fortunes. As I have said
before, for your good I am here.
But for this time I shall send a little of
my pay, for I need few things for the winter
such as gloves, etc. We are going to be paid
off in two or three days. This pay is for
two month or up to the last of December
the rest of the money I will send you.
You will want to take care of your money well
because if we should go South soon, it may
be a long time before we'll get paid again.
One soldier who has been in the field told me
that he was not paid for nine month in
one time, Pay-days are not regular down there.
You will know here that I have'nt been on guard
for two month almost, for I have been rather
unwell. Now I am stronger and gaining every
day, except the ear-ache sometimes.
Osah-o-quah-yon & Kewagoshkom are getting well.
About the papers I send them to you once a while
that you may read them with pleasure. I don't
know as you get them all and as all my things
for you get through.

I give you my best respects & love to Father
and Mother, and Annie. Also [scratched out word] my own
mother for me and children, kiss them for me.
____________________________________________________

I am one who loves you and your
devoted husband and a soldier.
Payson Wolfe

From Diary of Rev. George Smith 3 Feb 1864, "Mary received an excellent letter from Payson"  



Civil War Service Records:




W  1 Sharp Shooters  Mich.
P. Wolf
Appears with rank of Pvt on
Muster and Descriptive Roll
of a detachment of United States
Paroled Prisoner forwarded
for the 1 Reg't Michigan Sharp Shooters Roll dated
Detroit Barracks M., Feb 28, 1865.
Where born: Emmet Mich
Age 31 y'rs; occupation Farmer
When enlisted Aug, 1863.
Where enlisted Dearborn, Mich
For what period enlisted 3 years.
Eyes Drk; hair Drk
Compexion Drk; height 5 ft 6 in
When mustered in ......186....
Where mustered in........
Bounty paid $...... due $......
Company to which assigned  K
Remarks: Thirty day furlough
from Camp Annapolis, Md.
dated Dec 10/64 Reported
Vol for transpt Feb 18, 1865.


Memorandum from Prisoner of War Records   No 113?

Wolf, Payson, rank P No. of Reg't 1 State Mich Arm of Service SS Co K
Captured at Petersburg June 17, 1864 confined at Andersonville Ga date not given 186.. .
Sent to Millen Nov. 11/64
Admitted to hospital at.....
where he died..... 186... of
Paroled at Savannah Ga Nov. 26, 1864, reported at Camp Parole, Md., Dec 3, 1864.
Furloughed Dec. 10, 1864 for 30 days. Returned March 3, 1865.
Clo(?) Dec 1/64











Rev. Smith's diary entry of 3 Aug 1864 “Got a letter from George Azh klenk July 5 saying Payson & the other prisoners were sent to Georgia.”


Andersonville Prison:





From Rev. Smith's diary - 20 Dec 1864 "Payson arrived about 2 PM, a paroled prisoner. was paroled at Savannah & 1100 prisoners took the Steam Ship Constitution & were landed at Annapolis. they were furnished a suit of clothes on going on board the ship & another suit when they landed at Annapolis. he says they suffered terribly while prisoners -- going sometimes 2 & 3 days & a number of times 4 days with out eating at all --  -- men robbed of their blankets & overcoats & lived & slept in the open weather, their bed the ground, their covering the rain -- water sometimes 4 inches deep where they had to lie. All the family took supper and with us eve."


30 Dec 1864 "Payson, Mary and the children spent the eve here, had supper with us. He tells shocking stories of their suffering while prisoners -- he says when men got so weak they could not keep their rations on their stomachs -- would vomit up beans as soon as swallowed & others would rush to eat the vomit with greediness & often the boiled rice would be alive with full grown maggots -- he has eat it so -- was obliged to or starve."

The Grand Traverse Herald reported on 10 Feb 1865: NORTHPORT VOLUNTEERS- Lewis Miller left here on Wednesday morning for Grand Rapids, with three Indian recruits from Northport. Payson Wold, a paroled prisoner, who has just been exchanged, accompanied them to join his regiment.

An article titled American Indians In Confederate Territory has more information.

After the war Payson was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) Post 106 in Cross Village and was pictured with members of Post 399 in Northport.





His GAR medal was lost and later recovered. It is now on display at the Northport Area Heritage Association museum.



On 30 May 1866 Payson applied for an invalid pension.





Pension records:













The picture below (in case and close-up) is believed to be of Payson, date and location unknown.



1868 Annuity roll, Chief Waw-say-quo-um's band:
#3 - Payson Wolf, 1 male, 0 female, 8 children $142.65

1870 Annuity roll, Chief Waw-say-quo-um's band:
#3-38 - Payson Wolf, 1 male, 1 female, 9 childdren $168.30

1870 Federal Census Northport, Leelanau township, Leelanau county,
dwelling 56, family 54
Smith, George, 62, white, born Vermont
____,  Arvilla, 61, white, born Vermont
____, Arvilla, 16, white, born Michigan      [surname should be Wolf]
Wolf, William P., 14, white, born Michigan
____, Esther, 12, white, born Michigan

dwelling 58, family 56
Wolf, Payson, 37, Indian, born Michigan
____, Mary, 35, white, born Michigan
____, Charlie, 11, white, born Michigan
____, George, 9, white, born Michigan
____, Edwin, 7, white, born Michigan
____, Jesse, 4, white, born Michigan (listed as male)
____, Burnside, 3, white, born Michigan
____, Jane, 1, white, born Michigan


The agricultural schedule for 1870 shows Payson as having 15 acres improved, 25 acres wooded and 80 acres other unimproved. He grew 25 bushels of Indian Corn.


On 8 Jan 1872 Payson received 80 acres located in the W 1/2 of the NW 1/4 of section 10, T31N R11W [Leelanau Township, Leelanau County]. This was land due from the Treaty of 31 Jul 1855.

1872 Land Record


By 1880 Payson and Mary Jane have separated. Payson and his mother have moved to Emmet county.

1880 Federal Census - Bear Creek, Emmet county:
James Kado/Kedo, 57, head, widower, teamster, born Michigan, parents born Michigan
Paul Nasgada, 13, adopted son, single, laborer, born Michigan, parents born Michigan
Juliatt Kenequa, 72, aunt, widow, house keeper, born Manitoba, parents born Michigan
Payson Wolf, 51, cousin, married, laborer, born Michigan, father born Michigan, mother born Manitoba.



List of pensioners 1883 - Emmet County
No. of certificate: 78,903
Name of pensioner: Wolf, Payson
Post-office address: do (Cross Village)
Cause for which pensioned: loss use l. hand & arm
Monthly rate: 14.00
Date of original allowance: Sept. 1869



1890 Federal Census - Special Schedule - Surviving Soldiers, Sailors, And Marines, And Widows, Etc.

Cross Village, Emmet county Line 4 Payson Wolf, private, Co K, 1st M SS, enlisted Aug. 3, 1863, discharged June 1865, length of service 2 years, 2 months Post Office Cross Villiage, scurvy from being imprisoned.


Mary Jane Wolfe is also listed in the 1890 census only in Leelanau township, Leelanau county. She is called a widow with post office of Northport. All other info is blank.


The 1900 Federal Census finds Payson in Cross Village, living alone.
Wolf, Pason, head, born Oct 1833, age 66, occupation - pensioner


The following photos are believed to have been taken in Cross Village.

Inscription reads, " Payson Wolfe, Roy's grandfather, bodyguard & sharpshooter in Civil War to Gen. Burnside."






Payson died on 7 Dec 1900 in Cross Village.



He is buried in the Holy Cross parish cemetery in Cross Village.


No obituary has been found, but there is a notice in the Traverse City Morning Record of 9 Dec 1900 page 2.




Photo of Mary Jane Smith Wolfe


Mary Jane died 4 Oct 1905 in Northport, listed as a widow.




The following is a bible page found online that lists Mary Jane, Payson, their children and grandchildren. These entries were not made at the time of each child's birth, but written years later with the same pen by the same person.

The bible also does not include one additional child of Payson's, an unnamed female who was born and died 16 Dec 1879 in Little Traverse, Emmet county. Child's mother was Christine Kijigobenesse.



Articles about Payson and his family are here.

More on Payson here. 

Picture below is of the home Payson and Mary Jane in Northport.



...
Copyright (C) 2017 Vicki Wilson

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. As I read Payson's letter to his wife I sense he is really trying to make the best of the situation he finds himself in .. very touching:
    "I like to hear you say or write you are
    doing the best you can, I wish you happiness
    all the while. My dear wife if I had wished other-
    wise I would not have left you, for the good
    of you and our children."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post. Please let it be known that I am Payson Wolfe's Gr8 Gr8 Grandson. And to the best of my knowledge I am his oldest male desendent.
    His daughter Arvilla is my Gr8 Grandmother.
    Charles "Bud" Emerson

    ReplyDelete