Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Charles Allen

Charles Allen was said to be born in 1843. The son of Moses Allen Naish-ka-ze and Anna/Emma Onje-e-qua, he was baptized on 7 Jan 1844 at Old Mission by Rev. Peter Dougherty, at the age of 6 months. He joined siblings Walter, Anna and Solomon. 

Younger siblings were Mary Ann, Nancy, John, Margaret, Jacob, Susan, a second Nancy, a second Solomon, George, William, and a third Nancy born in 1861.  

Charles attended school at Old Mission. After the family moved to Omena he continued his education at Rev. Dougherty's school there. Later he attended the Twinsburg Institute in Summit County, Ohio from 9 Apr 1860 to 9 Mar 1861.

1860 Federal Census - Twinsburg, Summit, Ohio

Charles Allen, 19, farm laborer, born Michigan




Military records show Charles Allen of Northport enlisted in company K, First Sharpshooters, as Sergeant, on 12 Jun 1863 at Northport, for 3 years, at the age of 19. He mustered in 22 Jun 1863 as First Sergeant.

Charles is listed on line 5 of the muster-in roll below.



Charles wrote three letters home that have survived.
First letter - 27 Oct 1863



Translation:

Chicago
Camp Douglas October 27, 1863

I love you all, Loved ones,

Again today I am thinking of you all. We are still well, here where we are. I often thin of you in my loneliness but I have a little paper that is called a "pass" that allows me to leave the fort, yet I don't go out at night because it is not a good time to be out. Remember there are soldiers who sometimes flee in loneliness. Also, two days ago, I meant to tell them that here, while some went out and others were resting, one was begging to pass the time. I think of you often here in Chicgao. I go to Chicago sometimes and there at least I am not lonely. But I am doing well and at least am not sick. Sometimes young Iroquois women visit us and we try to look out for them and pray their boss will give them more work. This gives me some comfort as a soldier. Yesterday morning I met Stephen Shawasung and Apangishimo who greeted us and visited for a while. They heard from cousin Dan Rodd that you are well and people look good back home but we miss them. Sometimes after I eat and fall asleep to ret, I think of the ones who are with me always staying with me forever sitting with me in my homes as I see them in m prayers. If only it could happen on this earth. One day I will be with my loved ones in heaven. This is what I write for today and I pray all of you there will quickly write back. I wonder if you will use the $15. I would love it if you send a picture of my relatives.

Yours
Greetings, greetings,
Your Son of Brother or Friend
Sgt. Charles Allen

On 29 Nov 1863 Charles was admitted to the USA Post Hospital at Camp Douglas for measles. He returned to duty 7 Dec 1863.



Second letter - 21 Dec 1864



Translation:
Headquarters Co. K 1st Michigan S.S.
Camp Douglas Chicago, Ill, December 21 1863

My Loved Ones,

Once again I am writing to tell you that I as still doing well, while knowing all of you are also doing well. It would make you cry how much I laugh at them I tell you. As I am writing to you all it is Sunday today. We rode out from Detroit so we dreaded returning there yesterday we arrived at last. That's the third time we've been sitting here riding around so once more as always we must go there. Last summer I was gone for so long from camp here where we live. This was when the Indian soldiers got really drunk over at Detroit. This was made possible because of that American who poured the alcohol. So then he was put on trial and the Anishinaabeg who were his companions thought about it and were witnesses while I translated for them and then we rode out from there. At last we went before staying too long and allowing the bootlegger to again be among the Anishinaabe soldiers who had done bootlegging with him. It's as if he was always causing trouble even before he was a soldier. So this is my correspondence and greeting to you.

Greetings to you then,
Charles Allen

From the Detroit Free Press - 15 Dec 1863


From the Detroit Free Press - 18 Dec 1863


Link to file regarding Charles being called to court for this case - Link 



Charles' third surviving letter - 28 Feb 1864





Translation:
Camp Douglas Chicago Feb 28 1864

I love you
My loved ones,
I received your letter a while ago and was happy to know you all are doing well. I should also let you all know that I am doing fine.
Then our mother will come here in spring. Then we will definitely be paid on the 10th of March. So we always got the soldier's pay in the fall, now I had to sell some things I think then they paid us and later when the steam boat came around is when I sent you all the money. I think I can get things by boat if put them in letters. I always think to send you all money since you've taken on more burden to get by and I should also say that I will try to see you all in Spring and I'll arrive soon if given permission.
So that's all.

Greetings,
Charles Allen


Below is a possible description of Charles' actions in battle.



However Charles wasn't killed in action. From his medical records we learn Charles suffered a gunshot wound to his left side at the battle of the Wilderness. 


Charles died on  21 May 1864, and was buried there. [Later to be reburied as unknown at the Fredericksburg National Cemetery.



Col. DeLand tells of Charles death in his report of 5 Aug 1864.







On 11 Mar 1881 Charles mother, Anna, applied for a pension based on his Civil War service. She had kept the letters Charles sent until she applied for a pension. Sadly she was forced to give up the letters, which are now in Charles' file at the National Archives in Washington, D.C.


Anna received a pension of $8 per month retroactive to 11 Mar 1881 on 31 Jan 1889. The amount was increased to $12 per month on 19 Mar 1886, which she received until her death on 23 Apr 1889.


Link to entire files on one drive

Translations from "Warriors in Mr. Lincoln's Army" by Quita V. Shier, translated by Dr. Helen Roy and Dr. Margaret Noodin. Used with permission.


No comments:

Post a Comment